Wanted: Project Manager – Renovation and Small Construction
Vanderbilt University | Nashville, TN
The Project Manager is a professional member of the Campus Planning & Construction (CPC) team and is mainly responsible for managing all phases of small construction and renovation projects for Renovation and Small Construction (RSC). This position will be responsible for planning and executing the design, bidding, and construction-related activities necessary to successfully complete renovation and renewal projects in an organized manner with minimal disruptions on the University campus. Typical project value is under $1 million with a simultaneous quantity of 20-40 projects utilizing a cross functional team. An essential responsibility in the position is to assist faculty, administration, and staff to implement the goals and objectives of the University Strategic Plan, university master plans, and standards and guidelines. Reporting directly to the Manager of RSC, the incumbent in this position manages multiple projects and should possess the ability to work in a team environment in the department of Facilities at Vanderbilt University.
Renovation and Small Construction (RSC) supports university faculty, staff, and students in small construction and renovation projects and is part of the Campus Planning & Construction team. RSC is responsible for planning, executing, and evaluating activities related to completing renovation projects RSC will design, bid, and manage the project in a safe, timely, and organized manner. They coordinate current and potential projects with all university stakeholders. RSC acts as a representative of the university to outside vendors/contractors to acquire adequate and competitive pricing. They are also responsible for preparing quotes for university events that require the use of academic and administrative facilities, athletics facilities, and campus grounds.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review or assist in project development with designated stakeholders
- Perform internal design services for projects
- Maintain, organize and distribute project scope, estimates, and schedules – as well as changes.
- Consult and advise with individuals and departments to translate facility requirements
- Coordination of all phases for assigned projects
- Review specific project related documents for accuracy and completeness
- Ensure all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
- Develop or review estimates and schedules for assigned projects
- Demonstrate ability to realistically anticipate resource needs, set priorities, and organize work
- Understand and apply quality management on assigned projects
- Measure project performance using appropriate skills and tools
- Coordinate effective communication and collaboration with department, vendors, consultants, and university
- Maintain regular contact with stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen existing relationships
- Understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customize services to better deliver them
Profile of an Ideal Candidate:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field is strongly preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of experience managing multiple construction projects with the construction and/or renovation of a broad range of building types and increasing complexity and responsibility in architecture, mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering is required.
- Demonstrated skills in scheduling, estimating, and quality management in construction related projects is required.
- Experience with the following Software: Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD 2018 and Adobe Acrobat Suite is required.
- Proven background in project management is strongly preferred.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication (verbal and written) skills are strongly preferred.
- Walking, standing, bending, stooping, climbing, working from heights, and crawling into tight spaces for long periods of time is required.
- No travel is required.
About Vanderbilt University:
Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, is a top-15 private research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. Vanderbilt is situated on a 300-acre campus near the thriving city center, serving more than 12,000 students and employing almost 7,000 faculty and staff. The university’s students, staff, and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. Vanderbilt was recently named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” and the top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area in 2019 (Forbes).
About Vanderbilt Benefits:
Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses, and dependent children.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
Vanderbilt University is committed to achieving the goal of a divers and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our campus values.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.